All The Ways You Attract Mosquitoes In Ocean Isle Beach
If you like spending time outside in the summer, especially near the water, you know that mosquitoes can ruin an otherwise beautiful evening. Nobody enjoys being bitten by mosquitoes as these bugs fly around in their annoying manner and leave you itching for days on end.
However, mosquitoes aren’t just a nuisance. They can also spread an entire host of diseases and are one of the deadliest animals in the world. Some of the serious illnesses they transmit include Zika virus, malaria, West Nile virus, and dengue fever.
Because of the risks of mosquito bites, it’s important to take steps to protect yourself from being bitten. Unfortunately, no one is completely immune to these bites, but mosquitoes do prefer some people over others.
There are some factors that attract mosquitoes that you can’t do much to change, such as having type O blood or being pregnant, but there are other factors like drinking alcohol and being sweaty, that you can avoid when outdoors.
More Factors That Attract Mosquitoes
While some individual factors make you more likely to be bothered by mosquitoes, there are also environmental elements that can draw them into a property.
Overall, mosquitoes need shady foliage where they can rest during the day as well as access to standing water where they can lay their eggs. These are the two main reasons why mosquitoes will stick around an area.
The truth is that mosquitoes are often common in places like Ocean Isle Beach in general because of the weather and proximity to a water source. However, having things like standing water, pools and hot tubs, dense foliage, and yard clutter can make your property especially attractive to them.
Seven Effective Mosquito Prevention Tips
Now that you know the reasons why mosquitoes are drawn into an area, or to a certain person, you can take the necessary steps to help prevent them. The following seven tips and help reduce the number of mosquitoes around your property as well as keep you safe from bites.
- Wear light-colored clothing as mosquitoes are drawn to the warmth of darker items.
- Avoid going outside at dusk and wear mosquito repellent when in your yard or outside in areas where mosquitoes are prevalent.
- Remove standing water from your property and ensure that rainwater can drain by clearing gutters.
- If you have water features like pools and hot tubs, make sure they are kept clean and that water gets cycled. This also applies to ponds and fountain features.
- Trim hedges and other vegetation such as shrubs, bushes, and trees.
- Keep your yard maintained and mow the grass regularly. Also, remove any organic debris like grass clippings and leaf piles.
- Avoid drinking alcohol and other sweet-smelling drinks when outdoors.
The Best Mosquito Control Step
It’s always smart to do what you can to avoid mosquitoes, but they are a difficult pest to control on your own. The most effective way to greatly reduce the number of mosquitoes around your home is with help from Jay Taylor Exterminating.
We have over 80 years of experience, and we even make it easy to get started by offering free estimates. Reach out to us today by phone or online to learn more!