Five Easy-To-Spot Signs Of Termites Around Your Wilmington Property
Termites are one of the worst pests you will ever find around your property. They are extremely destructive as they eat through wooden structures in order to gain nutrients from the cellulose fibers. Termites in Wilmington can damage all kinds of things including floors, walls, furniture, decks, and more. On average, homeowners will spend around $3,000 in repairs after a termite infestation.
Termites can do a lot of damage because they are often difficult to notice. While there are other signs of termites you might pick up on first, it can be useful to know how to identify termites. The worker and soldier termites are a cream color and don’t have wings while the termite swarmers are dark brown to black with wings. You are more likely to see the swarmers as they leave the nest to reproduce and start new colonies.
Five Signs Of A Termite Infestation
While you might notice termite swarmers leaving the nest, especially during spring and summer months, there are other more noticeable signs of termites that you’re likely to find first. Here are five things you should be on the lookout for:
- A clicking noise coming from the inside of walls
- Doors and windows that suddenly fit tighter in their frames
- Floorboards that squeak or buckle
- Seeing piles of small pellets, termite droppings called frass, next to walls
- Damage on walls and wallpaper that looks similar to water damage
While there are some other signs of an infestation, those five are the most common and also the overall easiest to spot.
Some Termite Prevention Steps
If you’ve noticed any of these signs, there’s a good chance you already have termites and should seek professional pest assistance immediately. However, if you haven’t noticed any of these things, it’s the perfect time to take preventive measures. You might not be able to completely guarantee you’ll never have a termite infestation, but you can reduce the likelihood by making the property less appealing to them. The main factor that attracts termites is humidity, so be sure to focus on lowering the moisture levels around the property.
Here are the best and easiest ways to prevent termite infestations:
- Install a barrier between the foundation of the building and the soil. This is one of the best overall ways to keep termites out.
- Get rid of moisture issues around your home by fixing leaky plumbing and using dehumidifiers. Also, ensure good ventilation throughout the building.
- Keep firewood dry and stacked neatly at least 30 feet away from the home or business.
- Get help from pest control professionals as they can provide year-round assistance to ensure you never have to deal with termites.
How To Protect Your Home From Termites
If you’ve noticed any of the signs of termites mentioned in this guide, the best way to remove them and save yourself time and money is to contact the experts at Jay Taylor Exterminating. We have the experience needed to prevent termites and remove any infestation regardless of how severe.
Learn more about our termite prevention services by giving us a call at (910) 387-4767. You can also message us online to request your free estimate.