The Best Way To Get Rid Of A Cockroach Problem In Your Ocean Isle Beach Home
Every year, thousands of homes in North Carolina become nearly uninhabitable thanks to cockroach infestations. Cockroaches contaminate food, spread multiple pathogens, and make your house feel like the last place you want to be. Unfortunately, clearing out an established cockroach colony is one of the most challenging tasks a DIY homeowner or pest control professional will ever face.
Roaches multiply incredibly fast, can digest and survive most known insect control pesticides and withstand pressure over 500 times their body weight; a house slipper or a store-bought bug bomb is no match for their centuries of evolution. Cockroaches are nature's ultimate survivors and tough pests to control.
Local Species Of Cockroach
In the Ocean Isle area, you're likely to run into one of the following species:
- American cockroaches are often over 2 inches long, with reddish-brown, oval bodies and long antennae. They have a light yellow figure eight mark on the back of their head.
- German cockroaches are 1/2 to 5/8 of an inch long with light brown or tan oval-shaped bodies and two dark stripes running down their back.
- Brown-banded cockroaches grow up to 1/2 an inch long with brown, oval-shaped bodies and two light stripes.
- Wood cockroaches are 3/4 to 1 inch long, brown in color, and easily distinguished from other species by wings that are longer than the body itself.
- Each cockroach female can lay up to 300 eggs a year, and some of the species (German cockroaches, for example) do not even need a male to reproduce.
Your best bet at controlling a cockroach infestation is to discover it early, while the numbers of these disgusting little invaders are relatively few. Let's look at signs of the infestation to watch for, some useful prevention tips, and, if prevention doesn't do the trick, how to find reliable pest control in the Ocean Isle area.
How To Identify A Cockroach Infestation
Cockroaches are nocturnal and experts at staying out of sight, making it very difficult to discover the infestation in its early stages. Watch for the following telltale signs:
- Cockroach droppings that look like black pepper
- Egg capsules on the floor or sometimes glued to the walls or under furniture
- Skins that cockroaches shed as they grow
- The musty smell of roach pheromones they use to communicate and mark territory
Once you've spotted signs of infestation, it's essential to take control of the situation quickly, and in most cases, your best bet is to contact an experienced professional.
The Health Risks Of A Cockroach Infestation In Your Home
Cockroaches spend most of their time in some of the most filthy and disgusting places around your property, so when they do move around your home, they spread a multitude of pathogens and bacteria. Cholera, E. coli, and typhoid fever are just some of the illnesses you risk catching when living with a cockroach infestation. Contact with cockroach feces and saliva is also known to spark asthma attacks and allergic reactions.
Practical Cockroach Prevention Tips For Your Home
As with most other pests, prevention is the most effective tool in a DIY arsenal. Follow these tips to keep cockroaches out of your home:
- Seal cracks and openings in the outside walls.
- Store food in securely sealed containers.
- Take care of any moisture issues that might attract pests,
- Cover vents and drains with tight mesh screens.
- Keep trash in sealed containers.
Occasionally bad luck and a roach's determination prevail, and regardless of your prevention efforts, you might have to face the problem of clearing cockroaches out of your house. Considering that even a single egg left behind can be a beginning of a reinfestation, this job is best left to professionals.
Call The Pros At The First Sign Of Cockroaches In Your Home
Jay Taylor Exterminating has been helping residents of Ocean Isle Beach get rid of cockroaches and other unwelcome pests for over 80 years. We pride ourselves on delivering the pest-free homes our customers deserve, with a quick turnaround and non-invasive home pest control methods.
If you see signs of cockroaches in your Ocean isle home, give us a call today!